Underage Drinking and Minor in Possession Defense Lawyer

If you have been charged with underage drinking or being a minor in possession of alcohol, you face some potentially harsh consequences. You want the guidance of an experienced criminal defense lawyer who will help you understand and protect your rights, and who will provide you the information you need to make sound decisions.

At the Whitman Law Offices, our attorney, Charles E. Whitman, works with individuals aged 18 to 21 who are charged with underage drinking or minor in possession of alcohol (MIP). We have extensive experience representing college students, including students from the University of Kansas (KU) and Baker University.

Over 35 Years of Criminal Defense Experience • Call (785) 843-9460 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.

What Do You Have to Lose?

If you face charges of underage drinking or minor in possession of alcohol, it is important to know what you stand to lose if you are found or plead guilty. Your driving privileges very likely will be restricted as to where and when you can use your car — you may be limited to driving only to school, work and critical appointments, and only be permitted to drive during certain hours.

In addition, a conviction could result in mandatory drug and alcohol treatment, hundreds of dollars in fines, and even jail time. There is also the damage to your reputation to consider, which can jeopardize your opportunities in the areas of employment, scholarships and military recruitment.

The Attorney’s Role

Our role is to be your advocate at every step of the process. We will take the time to understand your situation, gather the police report and all other pertinent evidence, analyze potential challenges to the State’s case and explore whether there are grounds for a motion to dismiss. We advise clients on their options and pros and cons of accepting a plea agreement or moving forward with taking your case to trial.

We work with many first-time offenders, for whom there are alternative options available, such as diversion. Diversion is an extended probationary period where your case is essentially put on hold while you are subject to conditions such as alcohol treatment and education. If you successfully comply with the court-imposed conditions, the case is dismissed and does not go on your record. We also help connect clients to community resources that can help them get back on track.

Contact the Whitman Law Offices online or call (785) 843-9460 to schedule a free initial consultation. Our office is conveniently located in downtown Lawrence. We accept major credit cards and will visit you at home or in jail if necessary.

Comments are closed.